Monday, December 14, 2009

W is for Whisking and Whippets, with Julia Child.





        Yesterday was lovely. The sky finally shined through. The brilliant California blue amongst the fluffy white clouds made the sunshine even more inviting. It had been pouring rain for nearly 2 days, so every green plant was reaching high to grab some sunlight. Crisp delightful air bristled my cheeks, a slight wind breezed through my hair and all the while I could feel the joyousness this time of year often brings. It is days like this past Sunday which will always remind me how much I love a cold but sunny day in southern California. However, I'm sure a day in Paris would do me just fine in a pinch.               
           After a night of 2 1/2 hours of yoga, mini cookie making, homemade ornament painting and cribbage playing madness, we woke up later than anticipated. I figured it would be best to whip up some easy "Pain Perdu" for the boys in my life, accompanied by Caramelized Banana's and Maple Syrup. Simple, satisfying, scrumptious. Plus, I had a big day planned. The ACK Eukanuba National Championship Dog Show was in town. I know, totally exciting. Free ticket vouchers in one hand, Gingerade Kombucha in the other, three friends set out for a cute overload. Joel, my good friend Ellie and myself pointed, oh and ah-ed, petted and swooned more in a few hours than we ever have in our entire lives. It was such a treat (no pun intended) to see all these excited people, with their awesome pups darting and prancing about in all directions. Tension in the air, doggie dreams crushed and made, really, who knew that all of that could happen at a dog show (I also found a Busy Bee dog toy, which was particularly exciting, due to my obsession with Best in Show). It was a day that brought about whirlwind of emotions for everyone.
       After hours of coats, breeds, puppies, Waterhounds and Whippets, world champions, hairless and hairy, gigantic and toy sized, we had to retire our own proverbial dogs. We returned home famished and elated. So, once again I found myself whipping and whisking. 
       Waiting patiently for a different version of my "Veg-loaf" to bake-up, Joel and I dreamed separate dreams of our future dog owning days. The timer beeped, the heat from the oven permeated the whole house, the tomato glaze darkened just enough to render it completely delicious, the salad was mixed and dressed. We plopped down, to relax and enjoy a little movie action. Is there a better way to end a weekend? 
       This was not just any run of the mill movie. For us aspiring blogesses, part time experimenters in the kitchen or head strong women, this film was a re-invigoration of all that we are passionate about. Deeply sweet, intoxicatingly warm hearted and truly wonderful. It may sound like a cliché, or a plug, but I never wanted it to end. 
     Julie and Julia ranks right up there with some of my favorite chef/ restaurant/ cooking/ foodie movies of all time. In fact it just may top the list, for the time being. Meryl is phenomenal, Amy is adorable, Stanley is, well, Tucci, and nothing gets my spirits higher than a movie about women who make it big by doing what they love. 

       I am no French chef, or ever will be. Neither was Julia for that matter, although, she did Master the Art of it (pun intended). In fact I try not to use dairy, eggs, butter, meat or anything related to an animal if I can help it. All of which are ingredients in nearly every French dish. Having said that, I do enjoy watching a professional during the process of using said ingredients. The training, technique, dedication and determination it takes to properly to de-bone and truss a duck, make cow hoof aspic or put together the perfect Beef Bourguignon is way  impressive.  The film captured what is beautiful about eating with friends, cooking for people you love and learning how inspiration can sometimes help you to afford your dreams.  
      Cooking can help reveal your soul, heighten your senses, reawaken a memory from child hood and simply fill your home with wonderful aromas. Like Julia says during The French Chef, "You just have the have the courage of your conviction." And  I can say with conviction, that I have the courage to pursue my dreams, in whatever faucet they may be.
         I woke to whisking and whipping by creating "French Toast" and then ended the day with the indeminable Pasadena born girl turned french chef, Julia Child. I made it a  full circle day.   Just like the dogs chasing their tails round and round at the dog show.  
         Coincidence? I like to think not. 






PS: My favorite chef / restaurant / cooking / foodie movies,  in no particular order :
     Julie and Julia - Obviously. 
     Chocolat - I too dream of seducing Johnny Depp with chocolate. 
     Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory - Because Roald Dahl and Gene Wilder are better than chocolate.
     Dinner Rush - Makes me want to dine out every night, as well as know more eccentric Italian's.  
     Ratatouille - Really, who can deny a Patton Oswalt animated French rat making soup. 
     Big Night - Once again, Italians' know how to do these kinds of movies justice.
    
        There are, of course, other excellent foodie films (Like Water for Chocolate, Mostly Martha, Tampopo, Woman on top, Eat Drink Man Woman and Babbet's Feast) but for personal preference, those above are at the top for me. 


               What are your favorites?    Or favorite scenes?  
       

3 comments:

joel said...

Julia is such a great figure to aspire too. Although she had it easy financially, she really stuck to her guns and her passion lives on in the hearts and stomachs of all who loved her. Good way to go. Missed out on this post's recipe though.

Anonymous said...

Chocolat has to be my favorite for many reasons, chocolate, France, and Johnny. Yummy, fabulous, and yummy. I love the scene where they are at the Grandmas birthday, and of course the boat. As for dogs, its pretty tough to beat a golden retriver

Anonymous said...

Thank you, I have recently been searching for information about this topic for ages and yours is the best I have discovered so far.