Wednesday, December 9, 2009

V is for Vegan, Vegetarian, Veggie, whatever, just no labels please.







       Vegan is a word thrown around a lot.  The term was coined by Donald Watson, who combined the "Veg" and "an" of the word vegetarian. The end and beginning of vegetarian. To quote him :  
   "The word 'veganism' denotes a philosophy and way of living which seeks to exclude — as far as is possible and practical — all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose; and by extension, promotes the development and use of animal-free alternatives for the benefit of humans, animals and the environment.
 In dietary terms it denotes the practice of dispensing with all products derived wholly or partly from animals. "
     So how did the "promotion of animal free alternatives to benefit humans, animals and the environment" become such a battle ground between meat free-ers and meat eaters? Personally, I do not see how those who seek to promote these things, or seek to solve issues involved with these problems, should be persecuted. But to argue for the opposition, PETA doesn't really help when they shove slaughterhouse photos in front of people who aren't ready for that. 
     I do hope this clears up some questions for those of you confused about what veganism means. I often times hear some girl gabbing away about how she recently became vegan, all the while touting around her a new leather Louis Vitton purse, sporting some brand new knee high suede boots and applying gobs of make-up (yes, some make-up is tested on animals, which is cruel and not vegan). All of this is obviously not part of a vegan lifestyle or practice which Mr. Watson envisioned. Just because your favorite celebrity is doing it, doesn't mean you should jump on the band wagon. 

      It is a healthful way of eating, as long as it is planned out proportionately. A lot of times people who become vegan without doing the research don't fully understand what it takes to nourish the body properly, and can end up with some health issues. Deficiencies in the B vitamins are most common. However, it can be done. Consult a dietitian or licensed nutritionist!  (In the meantime, I have provided the "vegan pyramid" in case you were wondering on what is needed in the diet.) 

      Now, I would like to go on record as saying I am not a Vegan, in fact I don't like the label. I am most defiantly a meat free girl. The label of veganism can be restricting, and it can leave others scrambling to find something to talk to you about, without hitting the controversial animal cruelty topic. At which point, you bite their head off about their destructive meat eating behavior, but really, don't hate on them. Hate on meat industry for setting up such an disastrous and harmful industry. Also, it makes some feel very uncomfortable in your presence when out to dinner. Not only that, but this type of diet can make for difficult dining out decisions; it almost always has to be your choice on where to go eat, or better yet, make for any meal. Very frustrating.  
     With that said, I think anyone who goes for it full boar, achieves level 5 Vegan status, eats nothing that casts a shadow, no bleached flour or sugar, doesn't eat honey, wears 3rd party recycled clothing and lives off the grid is totally impressive. However, they probably smell. 
       
     Trust me, if I could give up my mini obsessions involving shoes and jackets made of soft supple leather, I would. Alas, I am just not strong enough, or for that matter want to do so (plus all of the ones I own are awesome and I could never give them away.) I remain what I like to call a moderate in this type of lifestyle. I am a veggie and fruit lover. I love them in all kinds, sizes, tastes and colors. I eat mostly fruits and vegetables daily. Some grains and beans here and there. A little yogurt occasionally. Maybe some dry cereals or bread from time to time, but mostly a lot of vegetables and a lot of fruit.  

     I am by no means condoning this type of eating, or stating that it is more healthful, but its what I like as well as crave. Having not eaten meat since the age of 12, I have zero cravings for anything like it. In fact I am pretty appalled when it comes to vegetarian products pretending to be meat. Those weird little sausages, the Tofurky, that strange soy-chroizo. In my opinion, if you are going to label yourself a vegetarian or vegan why are you eating something that simulates eating meat? I understand it has some appeal, but some of that stuff is no better for you than having a steak, just F.Y.I.. The sodium content is usually through the roof, there are all kinds of strange binders and coagulants which are most times corn derivatives, and 9 times out of 10 they have an exorbitantly high caloric value that exceed even bacon.  I do realize in my last post I gave a recipe for "meatless meatloaf" but I did not use any prepackaged fake meat products, and there is a huge difference. 

       This is something to think about for people who become vegan or a vegetarian and only eat that stuff. In this case they may be better off sticking to what they were eating before. When I was 17 my friends and I made a pact to all become "vegan" and see who could hold out the longest. I won, but the funny thing was, it was not hard for me, for my freinds it was a different story. There are a lot of REALLY bad for you products out there which are, for all intensive purposes, vegan. Soy Ice Cream, fried tofu, jams and jelly, soy cheese, peanut butter, most bread, and those strange fake meats. I didn't take that route, but most who do not understand how to make the switch do. 
     My point is, if you are going to live with the label, live up to it as well. 

     If you are a vegetarian, please for goodness sake, not everything needs cheese, dairy and/or eggs on it. Eat some vegetables and fruit, I beg you. 
      If you are vegan please for goodness sake, not everything needs to be over processed versions of the foods you really want, like hamburgers, or fried and covered in some high salt sauce. Do some research and get it together.
      I don't judge those who eat meat. I understand it. You grew  up with it, you like it, it tastes good, it is filling. Some meats have good qualities as long as it is the best kind for the environment and your body. 
       In addition, I don't give extra praise to those who are meat free. Some of the worst offenders of healthful eating are vegetarians, i.e. not everything needs to be fried, or covered in cheese, dairy and/or eggs. 
      What should be judged is the treatment of the animals, the unnecessary cruelty to living things, and the effect this kind of treatment has in the overall cycle of our food. 
     So buy local, organically, unprocessed, grass-fed, cage free, hormone free, cruelty free products, fair trade, etc. etc. etc.. Any or all of the above will make a difference. This kind of consciousness will not only help the efforts to save the earth, but it will make your soul smile just a little more. 

      With all of this said, next time you have 4 extra bucks in your pocket at Whole Foods or your local co-op pick up a issue of Vegetarian Times. It is such a great magazine if you are lacking a little vegetable inspiration, new options for your favorite dishes and some totally great articles on just about everything health related. I promise, nothing too preachy. 
      Here is a link to an awesome recipe for a Vegetable Tagine  that is loaded with 9 different vegetables, rounded out with chickpeas and spiced up with cumin, coriander, paprika, cinnamon and cayenne. Not only is it insane easy to make but it's crazy delicious and good for you! And you will not miss all those fake funky meats.  (Can't really beat it for the caloric value either, kcals- 271, Pro - 10 g, Carbs 49 g, Fiber 10g, Fat 7 g, and super low sodium per serving....)

  



5 comments:

joel said...

This is a really good one Joy. I really like that you come out and say you are not Vegan after supporting it so much. Also it is a very well written offering to those who may not understand the meaning. DOWN WITH THE MEAT INDUSTRY.

Ashley, The Accidental Olympian said...

I have to admit, there is nothing I dislike more than a preachy vegetarian/vegan. That said, there is nothing I admire more than someone like you who is able to live up to their convictions regarding the environment without being preachy.

I must admit that there is a disconnect between what I believe, and what I eat/love.

As you say about your love of leather, there are some things that you just love too much to give up. Knowing this about my meat loving ways, I have been trying to stay away from over fished species, going to the local grass fed/cage free butcher, and this winter I made a pledge to stay away from veggies shipped in from far away Southern countries as much as possible.

It's no vegan stand, but it helps me sleep better.

It's the little things right?

Unknown said...

High five Ashley!
I can definitely say you get mega brownie points for putting in the extra effort. Most American's just do not care.
The fish issue is huge too. If we keep over fishing our seas, will will have none left, how sad is that?
So kudos. Moderation is the key.

Anonymous said...

Food Inc really put it into perspective for me. Even if you don't care about how an animal is treated, you need to care about the filth in which they are raised and the bacteria that they can and do transmit to humans. There is no price on health. And it is hard to hear the snide remarks about veagans and vegetarians. Why is it such a problem for some people. I too like meat, but I very rarely eat it anymore, and when I do eat it, my stomach always acts up. So for me its better I don't eat it. Good Blog

Anonymous said...

Love the Mac cartoon