Wednesday, December 2, 2009

T is for Tips and Treacherous Tomatoes



       A tip about embarking on a project which you may think will only take a few days : Step 1 - count the amount of wires, cables, bells and whistles it will require. Step 2 - multiple that by 50. Thats how many hours it will take, roughly. 
      My video project has had me cooped up in my room for countless hours over the past week. Oh, did I mention I am converting all of my parents VHS tapes onto DVD's? Yes, there over 100 of them, and yes, I'm crazy. Although all of the wires, cables, tapes, hard drives and much much more is all the makings of a thoughtful and excellent gift, it has completely consumed me. Now nearing completion of the project (completion being about 2 or so weeks away) I no longer feel the need to care about my appearance and/or hygiene for that matter. Well, with one stipulation, if I have to go out of the house to work, buy food or get some Vitamin D from the sunlight, I might brush my teeth and hair. No sweat pants though, I will never be seen out side my home in sweat pants. 
     In any case, one of my tips for the day is, always closely examine what you're getting yourself into when it comes to a gift, and use my new mathematical equation. So, I counted 12 different wires I have had to use so far. Additionally 4 new apparatuses which assist in the conversion process, so therefore: my total hours comes to 16 X 50 = 800 hours. Divide that by 24 and I get nearly 33 Days. 
     Awesome.
     
     On another note, since this is the T entry, I'd like to take a moment to talk about one of the loves of my life, tomatoes. Natures great gift of this lovely nightshade is tantamount to german chocolate brownies with rich bittersweet chocolate frosting that I used to get from Grandma's Bakery on 2nd Street, now a stupid salon, but still remembered and loved none the less. It was like the Wonka Bar shop. Trust me, childhood candy addictions were built on places like this. 
     Anyway, I love tomatoes. I wouldn't be able to get through a day without them. They are amazing. Some are sweet, some are tangy, some have a thick skin that pops, some have a thin skin that looks a little like a zebra, they come in tiny little orange sun sugar shapes and huge two pound brandywine wrinkled buckled oblong bulbous shapes. I eat them like candy. I even like to bite into them like an apple and let the juice drip down my chin on to my clothes. If I really tried, I think I could survive on them alone. Plus, they are considered a Super Food
      Not to mention, they are packed with the super antioxidant Lycopene. It has been shown to lower your risk for cancer, in particular prostate cancer, and cardiovascular diseases. Also, lycopene becomes more bioavailable to the body when processed, therefore some of the highest concentrations can be found in tomato paste. In addition to that, sauces including oils, like pizza sauce, assist in the transport of lycopene into the cells of the body more efficiently. Lastly, but not least, my favorite fact, it is an important part of the defense network in the skin.  Therefore, Lycopene in combination with other nutrients has been shown to increase the SPF factor of the skin! So rad. 
      For those who dismiss the amazing tomato as something of a lack luster fruit you haven't tasted the right one. Or for that matter, my tomato sauce. (And yes, the tomato is botanically classified as a fruit, but commercially a vegetable for shipping cost purposes.)  Since tomatoes are seasonal, we have to assume that most of the tomatoes we see on the shelves these days have been harvested in a far off country, or picked and shipped green and brought in a truck pumped full of ethylene gas and "ripe" red for purchase. Inevitably they will have a lack luster flavor. Not grown and harvested in their natural elements, this can pose for a treacherous tomato experience. 
      This is why I suggest, if you aren't a tomato fan (yet), wait till peak season and try one (It's always a religious experience for me). Unfortunately you will have to wait a little while until they are in full swing, but there are some really good canned varieties in the meantime which boast some killer flavor. The San Marzano's are always amazing from Italy, and I like the Muir Glen tomatoes as well, which are from California. The fire roasted ones are particularly interesting if you're feeling adventurous. Also, if you are already a tomato fan, I'll be jarring a few batches of the best tomato sauce around in the weeks to come as christmas gifts. If you can't wait until then, here is a simple recipe which I use on everything from pasta, to spaghetti squash, on pizza, and mixed into some lasagna, on a piece of toasted rustic bread, or just a giant spoon full straight from the jar. I mean, you can't go wrong with a few modifications on a Batali Sauce right? 


Tasty Tomato-tastic Sauce - Super Easy! 
     Makes about 6 cups
Ingredients:
1 Medium Onion cut into 1/4 inch dice
1 Medium Carrot, peeled and shredded
3 garlic cloves just smashed  
4 tbl extra virgin olive oil
2 tsp balsamic vinegar
3 tbl fresh thyme leaves
2 tsp dried oregano
2 tsp dried basil
11/2 tsp red chili flakes (more or less depending on the kind of heat you prefer)
2 28-oz cans of San Marzano whole tomatoes, crushed by hand with juice
Sea Salt to taste


Directions:
1. Saute the onion, carrot and garlic in the olive oil over medium heat until translucent, but not brown (about 10 minutes)
2. Add all the spices and cook for 5 minutes more. 
3. Add the tomatoes. Bring to a boil. 
4. Lower the heat to just bubbling, stirring occasionally for 30 minutes. (If it starts to get too thick for your liking add just a tablespoon of water at a time until it is the consistency you want.)
5. Season with salt to taste. Remove garlic cloves. 
6. Serve right away, or cool and freeze or refrigerate for later use. (keeps in fridge for 1 week, freezer for 3 months.)


Personally, I could eat it all by it self, but it is good on anything really. Delish-bomb. 

3 comments:

joel said...

I have been waiting with baited breath for the tomato blog. Everyone loves your tomato sauces. I think it is a great idea for holiday gifts. Awesome! The fact that it's now hygiene that is being pushed aside... Not Awesome.

Anonymous said...

Ahh tomatoes..I like to eat them straight of the vine, warm from the sun. They are a gift from nature, and I say that more is better.

Ashley, The Accidental Olympian said...

Ah thank you for giving me a tomato sauce recipe I can finally love and cherish. I found one randomly online and the results were tepid at best.

There is nothing worse than spending time loving a tomato plant, picking it's amazing fruit, and cooking up a sauce only to find the results are bla.

And p.s., you are nuts for turning all the VHS's into DVDs! Want to come to my house next?