Monday, January 18, 2010

If I could go back in time...


The first thing I would change in my crystal ball, never being moved from the Santa Ynez Valley. However, as a kid, these aren't the choices you get to make. But if history were to rewrite it self, I would most definitely have been staying there and having a grand old time with the wonderful Knecht Family. Barbara, Segan, Ashley and Emmaly, (and the new addition Adam "eh, Queso Spaghetti") you guys are so much more than friends to me. Another amazing extension of my many extended families.


On our quick visit to the "cabin" in the woods this weekend, we had more than plans for just home repairs, rain watch and hiking. This weekend birthdays were had, wine was drank (in abundance), "Crown Royal" tasted like the Captain, Catch Phrase reached new highs, my ability to maintain sophistication reached some lows and I got to enjoy my true hometown with the best of people I know in this world.


But the town has changed a bit since I was a kid. Now, 8 years post the hit film Sideways the little Grand Street of Los Olivos is a hot spot for tastings, expensive clothing and vintage style shops and the weekenders who pile into the tiny valley to get different version of Wine County. This hasn't yet changed the valley to the point of high rise mega hotels or the like, but there seems to be a new kind of charge to the area. Back in mid August of last year some friends and I made our way up to the area only to find that the tasting rooms close early and we wake up late. We had plans to take over the town.  Nonetheless, even though we only made it to one locale in Solvang, it was a fun filled time even though we didn't quite get to experience the true grandeur the valley can conjure. Next time, we won't get so caught up in the forest and actually make our way out of spider-land and into the rolling hills and vineyards of SYV.


This trip though, there was a birthday. This birthday, a sixty first, there was cake. What a cake it was. Triple Layer Devils Food with the closest version to Suicide Cake frosting I could create. Phenomenal, and my new  "go to" chocolate cake for sure. But there was rivalry for cake tastiness just miles away. At the little converted house turned wine tasting room for Saarloos and Sons, I was introduced to Enjoy Cupcakes.  Not only do they feature different wines in their cupcakes but also employ a tiny little trailer that you can rent for events and parties. Genius. We sampled two while there, the Blackberry Syrah and the Chardonnay Key Lime, which by all accounts were both fantastic. They also come in two sizes, so if you are in the mood for a 1 biter or 2 they have you covered.  (Obviously the next time you see me I'll be touting a new recipe with these bells and whistles.) The atmosphere of the tasting house was amazing too, really well done. Too bad you can't change the blonde pourer's attitude too, in addition to her pours, which were totally stingy. Just a tip.
  
In addition to the weekend being a total success, I finished my book, Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer. Not only has this book made my guts and guile stronger when discussing the inhumane treatment of animals and the horrible institution of factory farming, but my opinions are clearer. My decision to not eat meat has an even stronger vindication now, and the harm to not only the animals but to the earth hurts more to think about than ever. So, once again, I recommend you read this book. If not for anything else, to understand that if you eat meat, you are making a conscious choice to eat flesh that has been tortured, mutilated, pumped with antibiotics, feed the wrong food or not feed for days, unable to breed on its own, nearly dead from malities before it is ripped apart alive, the list of torture goes on and on.  Have you thought about this? Not many do. Why is there such a disconnect when we put food in our mouths? You are becoming what you eat, do you really want to be made up of tortured souls?


There are solutions to becoming a more conscious,torture free meat eater, but you will basically be practicing a mostly vegetarian diet. Throwing that out there.
  
 This week I am looking forward to the rainy weather, working late into the night, apartment hunting, loan receiving, going to yoga as many times as possible, starting a new book, possibly taking an impromptu trip to Olympia for more good friend time and baby sitting little Chase in the early morning.
  
January you have held so many promises for good times, don't let me down now.

6 comments:

joel said...

Ah the good old cabin in the spider woods. That cake shot looks super great. You are on the road for sure to a new chapter in the wonderful life of Joy. Oh book title... or maybe "The wonderful life with Joy".

Amelia said...

to understand that if you eat meat, you are making a conscious choice to eat flesh that has been tortured, mutilated, pumped with antibiotics, feed the wrong food or not feed for days, unable to breed on its own, nearly dead from malities before it is ripped apart alive, the list of torture goes on and on.

Y'know, or you could try critically assessing Foer's conclusions. Foer's book is rife with some horrifying logical inconsistencies. Yes, industrial meat is horrible. That doesn't mean vegetarianism is the answer. Local, humanely raised meat is fine. In fact, I feel better about my ethics eating a pasture-raised, not-antibiotic-treated chicken from the farm down the road than I do eating a banana from Dole, who treats their human workers worse than the animals you describe above. And I'm certainly not going to find a locally grown banana. Thoughts?

Unknown said...

True. I found some inconsistencies as well.
Good point about the treatment of workers. Its unfortunate that the industrial food industry is a place of unfortunate, underpaid, badly treated workers. Especially at places like Dole. I can't wait for a book about that. Those workers who are at slaughter houses are also treated badly, and then they take it out of the animals. Its a vicious circle.
Vegetarian is not the answer, you are right about that. There is no way of convincing the world to make that change. Chefs around the globe would raise their knives in protest.
A change in the system is the answer. Curbing America's addiction to meat is the answer. Hopefully not letting this type of production spread throughout the world is the answer.
This kind of food is making people sick. That is the scary part. As a nutritionist, that is my main concern.
There are so many ways to argue the point, and so many stories of positives and negatives.
But I try to support the cause in any way I can. Foer does a good job of highlighting some of the dark places most cannot go, fear to tread as well as even think about. That is why I feel it is important to read it. Even if you are on the side of pasture-raised, antibiotic free, etc etc. Its still a grim reality.
Thanks for the feed back!

Anonymous said...

Food for thought, thats for sure. It is a scary thought that more and more of the world is eating like Americans.But people also don't want to know or think they are harming animals, even the ones they eat. And they certainly don't want this in your face attitude, it makes them defensive. The sad truth is they would rather make light of vegetarians than look at their own diet. I fear we are too far removed to make corporate America act responsibly. In my mind it all boils down to too many people who leave a huge footprint inhabiting our fragile, beautiful planet. And now more than ever they want to live like Americans. How sad that, that is not a good thing

Marti Kolden said...

I too wish I could have forseen the damage and trauma that move caused you. It will always be one of the biggest regrets of my life. Good friends, I mean really good friends are hard to find. And I knew from the moment you met Ashley and Kirsten you had found that rare thing, a true friend, someone who always excepts you for who you are, because they know the person inside..kindred spirits.

Unknown said...

I have to make a stipulation to this post: Culinary School, NOT VEGETARIAN.
However, in light of that very sensitive to the environmental impacts it has. We compost everything from vegetables to meat, we recycle whatever we can, but we do go through A LOT of food, all for practice. Nonetheless, I have had to give up my badge of vegetarianism for a while. almost 14 years running Ill be back soon, and Ill be able to cook vegetables better too.