Sunday, November 22, 2009

R is for Reliable Red.




     Of all the things constant and good in this world, there are few things better than an excellent glass of Red Wine. It is my go to, it is always reliable, but then again, I do put a great deal of effort into knowing what will be reliable. I haven't had too many bad wine experiences post Carlo Rossi in Jug form many years back, although that was a fun night,I felt like a sailor. I have more stories of embarrassment and headaches over red wine than I'd like to count, but it is still a good friend of mine. 
     I'm not going to gripe about muddy Merlot, or sing the praises of melodious Malbec, or take a bath in a few bottles of my favorite Zin (again) but I will simply say thank you to all of those amazing vintners for making such a delicious beverage for all occasions. It is such an art. 
     Also, least I forget its moderate health benefits. Resveratrol, the antioxidant which this lovely liquid contains sneaks past your lips pretty fast. It boasts the ability to help mediate the inflammatory response, has been seen to lower blood pressure, shows cancer fighting components in lab tests and can lower blood sugar levels! Who knew, one glass of wine could do so much. Makes sense why it is known as a relaxing beverage.  Sorry to all of you white wine drinkers though, this little phytonutrient is only in the skin of red grapes and therefore red wine or dark grape juice, so it is lost in the preparation of whites. (My boyfriend will be particularly happy about this fact, considering white wine is actually a recessive gene in women that makes all of us crazy.)

     With benefits come detriments to health as well. So try not to get too sloshed this Thanksgiving on the good stuff, moderation is the key to life. My grandfather always told his kids this, although this statement was mainly bellowed when they were puking into the toilet after a long night, but nonetheless, moderation is a good principal to live by. 
     So with the holidays around the corner, pick up a good moderately priced bottle at your local wine shop. Take a long look at the label, where is is from, the type of grape it is, was it made sustainably or part of an eco-diverse crop; think about all that effort that went into getting that pretty bottle into your hands on this day. Beaujolais Nouveau or Syrah (my personal affection for Syrah should not influence you, but there are some really amazing ones around. But do me a favor, no Yellow Tail Shraiz which is different and a bland beast all together.) are perfect to pair with all of the food combos you'll encounter in the week to come. And, if you don't care to look foolish when asking where to find these, and you're not a total wino like myself sometimes, those are pronounced - Boo-jooo-lay and Saah-rah. 
     For me, Ill be at Yoga as many times as I can, eating lots of salad and enjoying one or two glasses here and there until the big feast. Since I'm more of a sides lover during the holidays, I kinda carb out on potatoes, sweets and bread. Im going to be a very good girl this week and watch it, so I can enjoy all the good stuff I avoid most of the year! I look forward to raising a glass of antioxidant rich ruby red wine to you, friends and family. 
     And, speaking of Red Wine, here is an amazingly delicious recipe for Glazed Carrots with Maple and Wine! Its great for the holidays, and the carrots turn a really gorgeous color. Go get your antioxidant charge! 


Glazed Ruby "Red" Carrots
    Time : about 45 mins
    Serving : 6 side portions (but if you are like me and my mom, two.)
2 tbl Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 large shallots thinly sliced (almost 1 cup)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp of red chili flakes
      (To be honest, you can change these spices up according to the season. So if you want a more Mexican inspired dish use chili powder and cumin. More Middle Eastern, use seven spice and cardamom, etc etc)
3/4 tsp sea salt
1/4-1/2 tsp black pepper
2 pounds of Carrots. Peeled and sliced into little sticks about 1/4 think and 1/2 - 3/4 inch wide. (However you want to cut them is fine with me though!)...also try the different colored carrots as well! Gorgeous! 
3 tbl Honey
1/4 cup Maple Syrup, or maple flavored Agave
1 cup Red Wine (Remember this should always be wine you LIKE to drink. Not sweet wine, because that will just concentrate the sweetness. I like to use something a little dry to cook with, as well as something a little spicy, my fall back, Syrah or a blend)
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
2 tbl chopped fresh parsley
1 tbl chopped fresh dill (optional)


Preparation:





1. Heat oil in a large heavy skillet, medium heat until hot. 
2. Add shallots, stirring occasionally, until soft.(3-4 minutes)
3. Add cinnamon, ginger, chili flakes, salt, and pepper to pan and stir until very fragrant. (about 1 minute, depending on the heat)
4. Add carrots. Toss to coat. 
5. Add honey, maple syrup, and wine stir until dissolved.
6. Simmer mixture covered, stirring occasionally, until carrots are tender. (18-20 minutes)
7. Add vinegar and boil, uncovered, until liquid is reduced and forms a  glaze. Depends on the heat again, but should be about 5 minutes. 
8. Remove from pan and toss in fresh parsley and dill while still warm. 
9. Enjoy! 
    A little tip about Recipes, since that word starts with R also, always READ THE ENTIRE THING before starting. Sometimes a recipe can call for a whole day to make and you wanted it that night, so then it can be pretty much a bust. Another thing to remember is these are GUIDELINES, not ingredients set in stone by the food gods. Change it up sometimes, cooking is an experiment for the senses, so experiment. I always think, worse case scenario, it turns out to be a really funny story of food catastrophe that everyone can commiserate with. 

5 comments:

joel said...

It is nice to see you are posting your own recipes on your blogs. Chk Chk on the archiving them for your future cook books.
Bam also... white wine IS the chemical that induces rage in women.

Unknown said...

I'd like to state that, after much deliberation on this post, here are some other items I forgot to mention about the beauty of wine:
Red Wine making is centuries old. A cultivation of thought and practice at fermenting, growing, picking, etc etc.
Some wine makers are now making "Pinto Noir" Spritzers alcohol free for those who do not drink. Very affordable and very tasty.
Across the globe people enjoy wine as an aperitif, as an accompaniment to food as well as in the cooking process.
It is not only an ingredient in the world famous dish Coq au Vin, but in many many others as well. It's markedly complex properties lend itself to so many applications. I am hard pressed to not find a reason to use it in cooking.
It can be used to dye clothing (and rugs on accident).
The French made their mark on society with it.
Great nations and great leaders of the world all enjoy it around the holidays, as well as at fancy dress balls, special events. We Raise our glasses to toast people. A whole economy of farmers thrives on its cultivation.
It is not a sin to drink wine. Even among many religious. I mean, hello, Catholics have it with communion.
So, for those offended or put off by my gesture of good faith to enlighten you to it's benefits, uses and specific ones to try, I'm not sure what else to say.
Just don't let it become an addiction, the complications are astronomical. On that point, other people have other vices much worse and over abused I'm sure.
Thanks!

joel said...

Yeah like my addiction. You know what it is.

Unknown said...

Bread Pudding?

Anonymous said...

These carrots sound amazing! I will never forget my first trip to the Calif wine country. I was chastised by the guide, he said "Young lady we drink the wine, we do not glup the wine" I looked around to discover he was talking to me! Yeah Good times, good wine