Wednesday, November 11, 2009

O is for Oh Baby.




My life long friend Rachel had her first healthy baby boy today! At 3:22 PM, November 11th 2009, at 6 pounds 7 oz little Chase entered the world.  Easy to remember, 11/11 (high five for timing that one guys!). Auntie Joy will not be forgetting that birthday, I promise. Little Chase will have many many fun gifts to enjoy as well!




First and foremost to include this little blanket! (Which I model here)

And for the family and new proud parents, these cupcakes! Simple Nutmeg Spiced Buttermilk Cupcakes with Creamy Vanilla Frosting in Baby Boy Blue.
(2 of which were stolen by mom for quality control purposes.)


Yep, I'm a 40 year old house wife who gets her kicks by baking and sowing. Or a 24 year old girl with no life and a lot of time on her hands, but nonetheless, talented, right? Right!?
    
  
 



 This day is also Veteran's Day.
    Happy Veteran's Day Dad! Although, as we know, our veterans really need more than a day to be celebrated. And, happy is usually not the right state of mine, but since it's a holiday, I guess happy is what we are supposed to use.
     Way way back in the 60's during the Vietnam war, drama and death surrounding him, my dad managed to stick it out in the jungle.  Like so many young men, fresh out of high school, my dad at 18 years old was drafted. Recently married to his new beautiful wife he was sent off to boot camp.

     A born surfer, wonderful friend, brother, son and a commanding force at any sport he played, the boy was going to war. Peter Lewis Jenkins quickly learned that staying high in the sky may be his best bet for survival. As an expert marksman, he was made a door gunner for the army. Hanging out of the open side of a helicopter wielding a massive machine gun, invincibly strong and incredibly terrified he managed to make it through battle after battle. With the jungle looming below, and thousands of miles of sky above, it seemed to be the safest place.


      Of course I cannot begin to imagine how the years he spent in the service fighting in that war must have been like, he is to this day one of my biggest inspirations. Kind, caring, calm, persistent and simple.  Simple in the best way too. Easy to please and never judgmental. Forever encouraging and able to do just about anything, he is my dad. The standard to which I hold most men. So, its really too bad for them because he's a tough one to match up to.
       But I've come to discover that little boys in general are the apple of their mother's eye. I have never met a mother who doesn't just adore her son, no matter what kind of trouble he makes. It must be the opposing genitalia. (That little penis grew inside you! ewww.) Honestly, all mothers just love theirs sons. I am always shocked at how boys are fawned over, even my Dad's mom treats him like a little king to this day.
       So on this Veterans Day, little baby Chase was born. This first son to Glynn and Rachel, a new project if you will. I'm sure they will dote on him like all new parents do.
This day is also for my Dad, a man of nearly 60 now, a Vietnam Veteran and true hero.  We should all honor those who fight, especially those who have against their will and survived the odds.
     I realize that no matter what, life goes on, and we only get out of it what we put into it.
So here is to giving 110% to everyday. And here is to saying thank you to those in you're life. To those who have changed it for the better. To those who have made your life possible. You'll really never know how hard they fought to be there for you now.




I love you Dad.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Vets Day PETE!!!!!!!!!!

Marti Kolden said...

Wow This was a circle of life type of blog, A new life being and a life full of living...love love love the pics

Anonymous said...

I like browsing your blog for the reason that you can constantly get us new and awesome stuff, I think that I should at least say a thank you for your hard work.

- Henry