Monday, October 12, 2009

G is for Grandmother, Gum, Grains and Giant Orange Slushy Drinks



       It was common during the early 40's in America, that she and he would become fast in love and lust, but forced to part soon after. A young girl at the age of seventeen, in the summer of 1943, freshly wedded to the handsome Herbert Charles Jenkins, "Lou" as we know him, and four short days later, they parted ways for what would be months on end. He had to return to service with the U.S. Navy, so the beautiful Irish girl from Pennsylvania, with gorgeous kelly green eyes,  Mildred "Millie" Anne Jenkins, was left by her new husband for a boat full of men, and a war far far away, while she with a ring on her finger tried to put together the new life that lay ahead of her.
      I cannot imagine or even want to dream about how this time in our history must have been for all the other girls stuck in those shoes. It's difficult for me to not see the people I love most for more than a day, let alone months and months. Corresponding only by letters which would generally be few and far between. It must have taken a lot of strength. And I am proud to say, and still hope, that some of this remarkable woman's strength has now passed into me. My Grandmother, Millie.
      This past Sunday, October 11th, she turned the ripe age of 83 years young; wore her brand new brown micro-suede skirt, matching shoes, coral blouse and matching earrings as she posed for her birthday pictures. She is an inspiration, as are most older people. The stories seem like tall tales really, of traveling, loads of hard work, war time and depression era strains, family triumphs as well as family heartbreaks, the newness of things that we deem old, and the appreciation for things that we deem frivolous; that is what I have come to love most about older people, their perspective on life.  My Grandma, for as far back as I can remember, has always been so kind, loved and cherished her gorgeous children, and put up with everything that was thrown at her with grace and poise.
      Literally, I see people light up when they are in her presence. She greets everyone with warmth and welcome, and this weekend was no exception. My parents and I visited my Grandparents to celebrate the special occasion of my Grandmothers birth. On one of our outings, a sunny Saturday afternoon the staff at the new See's Candies became some of the privileged few to make Millie's acquaintance. Like Cinderella, she walked into the new store like she owned the joint, all eyes were on her, and she really is striking. Although Parkinson's has limited her ability to walk without assistance, she took center stage in her matching Alfred Dunner Pants and Plaid Periwinkle Blue top, which she made of point of stating were "Made in the U.S.A." and in the same fashion, just like her favorite See's candy, which is made in California.

       We sampled a sickeningly sweet treat, greeting us upon entry to the shop. This new Milk Chocolate covered Vanilla Cream with Walnuts will surely be on our favorite list for a while. It tasted like  a  throw back to my Grandmothers younger days, and I imagined what that must have been like then, strolling the shores of Newport News, while I let the sugar dissolve on my tounge. Although my favorite candy from See's is the Dark Chocolate Chip Truffle, this new concoction is a close 3rd or 4th runner up. ( A list of a favorites to follow soon. )  With her infinite charm she also coerced the candy slingers to give us a few lollipop's for her son and husband whom she said, "were out shopping for us girls", when really they were perusing for TV's with the new HD quality, that would compliment the sports package Lou had recently ordered.
      An amazing woman on all accounts. There have been many moments in my life that I can connect directly back to a memory of my grandma. Brightly colored clothes, jewelry and lots of it, big bright sunflowers, always looking "fresh and polished", those little sausage links at morning breakfasts. She made me numerous dress up clothes that would make me into a princess for hours of play time, never forgets a birthday, a holiday or any card giving celebration for that matter, and still stuffs little sayings and recipes into envelopes to send to me,  and she has always smelled like fresh gardenia blossoms. But there is one other scent, in particular, that instantly reminds me of her: Wrigley's Doublemint gum. Still, she chews it religiously and attributes to her lack of a waddle under her chin. She has always kept "slim and trim" as she would call it and "the good lord willing..." always will, she says. Her gum habit, has been a long standing one, and I can't think of anyone else who has a more beautiful glowing smile. So I'll thank Wrigley's for her, you're doing a great job!
        Earlier that morning, as I sat across the breakfast table from her, staring into her bright green eyes which gazed back at me from behind her amazingly stylish frames, and she regaled us with stories of hardship and determination, with in inflection that lead me to believe she couldn't fathom having to do it all over again. Now, over 65 years after she and Lou were married, they live in St. George, Utah. (But are really true Californian's.) So, all five of us, eating and chatting at the breakfast table, my parents side by side, going on almost 35 years of marriage, and my grandfather to my right. As we enjoyed conversation and each others company, I tried to soak up every second of this greatly profound family memory. Of course, this heart warming tale of family togetherness is also entangled with a memory that what will now live in infamy as the "salty oatmeal incident". With the best of intentions my grandma woke up bright and early to fix the oatmeal for all of us.
     Instant Oatmeal. Thick Instant Oatmeal. With Sea Salt. Lots of it.  In addition to that, she also made a pot of coffee. Flavored coffee. Vanilla Cream Flavored coffee. Don Francisco to be exact. Wonderful.(?)
        I love my grandparents to pieces, don't get me wrong, but I can unequivocally say, I do not love salty oatmeal, flavored coffee, and/or any combination of the two.
       The breakfast was not necessarily terrible or inedible, I must attribute some of lack of luster to myself and my foolishness the evening prior. Because, I can now say with my head hung low, I especially do not love a luke warm bowl of thick, salty instant oatmeal accompanied by a semi-warm cup of vanilla flavored Donny Franco coffee post a night which ended with Giant High Octane 190 (with an extra shot) Orange Slushy Drink from a place called Fat Tuesday's at the MGM Grand Hotel in Las Vegas. Honestly, I stumbled into the trap which I call the enabler : my Mom.
       While I'm on the subject of things I Do Not Love, another addition to the list is the promise of a requested "vegetarian/vegan" entree, which when brought to me, the hungry diner, is found to be laced with bits of apple-wood smoked bacon in the mound of greens pilled high a top the deeply fried potato pancake which has been left to swim in a pool of, what can be assured is a chicken stock laden smokey tomato cream sauce. This was an accident? Oh, I think not Emeril's, Las Vegas. You also had the audacity to not remove it from the final bill? For shame bald waiter whom I was assured by would take care of me. Although, I will thank you for the glass of Gloria Ferrar Rose Champagne due to our cured meat mishap. But, do you think you could scrape the flavor of the poor pigs backside out of my mouth. It is days later and I can still taste it, even though I spit it out. Now, back to Grandma.
       So we enjoyed our processed grains, salty as they were, and she waxed poetic about the days of yore, her long gone youth, and most favorite things: her children. One, my dad, the apple of his parents eye; a dream son on all fronts, although not safe from his share of trouble making for them. They adore him, and it is obvious of the four great kids they produced, he is the favorite. Which in turn, makes me the favorite grandchild of the six. Great people, all of them, but, well, I'm the favorite, and thats that. (Sorry Chris, Malani, Melissa, Joyclyn and Nick. Love you!)
        She also claims that she never wants anything for her birthday. Just like all women, she says "your company is enough for me", but since I adore cooking for others, and baking in particular, I requested she give me suggestions for her big birthday cake; no feat too big or small, I wanted to make it. I was thinking of going in guns blazing, 12 tier-royal-lemon-scented-french-meringue-frosted-triple-chocolate-butter-pecan-rose hip-flowers-homemade-truffle-center-gourmet crazy. Much to my chagrin, she wanted a simple bundt cake, pound cake style specifically, with a light lemon glaze. I sighed, easy, and fast. So, I did try to get a little adventurous and added extra lemon zest, ground cardamom, whole vanilla bean and freshly ground nutmeg, but otherwise it was straight up pound cake, and it turned out fantastic. Like she said, "this is just what I wanted dear", and I can't think of better satisfaction that that. Can you? Especially a la mode.
        A simple day. With her family; Her son, her husband, her daughter-in-law and granddaughter. We laughed, and talked as she chewed her gum and enjoyed her birthday cards and multiple gifts from near and far. Played a game or two, and shared a light healthy dinner. Penne pasta with asparagus, zucchini, tomatoes, peas, carrots and red bell pepper and a simple tossed romaine lettuce salad  and for the seafood eaters southern baked jumbo prawns. I just love the smell of food on the stove, especially when I'm making it for other people. In particular people I love. They enjoyed every bite.  It is easy to, forget how it can please people to just go and visit them, have dinner with them, play a card game or two with them. Making this small effort has made me realize how lazy I have become.
        So now, after visiting Morman country, LDS everywhere, and blessings from god abound, I find myself thinking of my Grandparents, and I had plenty of time during the eight hour drive home (damn Vegas traffic). But even as we drove away I began to wonder, how did they do it all these years? I can barely hold my life together and I've got it pretty easy. My Grandma, now 83 and my Grandpa turning 88 in December, both of them having gone through their lions share of surgeries, misfortunes with health, playing thousands of Golf games, experiencing huge Bingo victories and losses, the many many years devoted to the Navy lifestyle, four kids, one whom has passed, and living out here in St. George, so far away from us.
      So, did they move to get away from us? The family? The friends? To wash away the dread that California may have caused them? Did they move for the community centers and the religion? (Although, the center was awesome. It has two pools and jacuzzis, one indoor and one outdoor area, a great workout room which was empty, elderly square dancing, yoga, water aerobics and the list just goes on. It was kind of amazing.) Did they crave the warm desert air or the proximity to Nellis Air-force Base and thousands of golf courses? I'm guessing that I can waste time wondering, or just visit them incessantly until I figure it out.
       I truly enjoyed my visit with them, even though the kink in my neck has yet to correct itself from the extra firm double short twin bed with a strange headboard in the guest room.
       My point? Well, we all need to make an effort into the elderly of America. Grandparents, an elder that you are close to, a neighbor, even someone you see walking by. They are our truest connection to the past and our best escape from the present. They have so much to offer and are always willing to tell a story or two. Who knows, you may learn something!
       So, on a Sunday in October, the day of my grandmothers birth 83 years earlier, it was an honor and a privilege to enjoy a bowl of Malt O' Meal with fresh sliced peaches, a toasted an English Muffin covered in Orange Marmalade, and a cup of Macadamia Nut Flavored Kona coffee made with love by my Grandmother.

    










Grandma and Grandpa, Lou and Millie, you astound me everyday. Thank you for being a part of my life and my history. I Love you.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hearing those sweet words about your grandparets makes me wish I too had been priveledged to have such loving connections with my own grandparents.

Lovely.

Anonymous said...

Haha would help if i could spell 'privileged' correctly. :) Might make the sentiment mean a tad more!

Unknown said...

I probably wouldn't have noticed you spelled it incorrectly! Ha! Thanks girl.

Marti Kolden said...

Enabler, I think not. You know you loved that 190 octane orange slushy drink. Although I do recall a certain girl with a busted up arm careening through a Zydeco concert crowd with a sling on one arm and a Long Island Ice Tea in the other and thinking to myself..maybe I shouldn't have bought that last drink..Hmmmm

Unknown said...

It numbed the ongoing pain, and made it more fun! Yum, Long Island Iced Tea... Crawfish Pie.... Brad Pudding and Whisky Sauce... we should go to New Orleans tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

I agree with most of your points, but a few need to be discussed further, I will hold a small conversation with my partners and perhaps I will ask you some advice soon.

- Henry