Tuesday, March 16, 2010

C is for Coffee. What else?





















An ongoing study following some 126,000 American's has been percolating for some 22 years now, and with some rather pleasing results. The Harvard analysts' data shows moderate coffee consumption may lower the risk for Parkinson's, Type II Diabetes and Colon Cancer. Quite remarkably, the more coffee the participants in the study drank the less risk for diabetes there was! In fact even some Parkinson's drugs have caffeine added.  The healthful benefits are plentiful. Other studies have shown it reduces the risk for gall stones by half and has been shown to cause an 80% drop in chances for cirrhosis of the liver.

Millions of people wake up to the steaming roasted bean beverage (actually, it's a seed from the coffee berries) daily. Now, we have something else to grin about, besides out morning energy boost. Other research shows that a cup of good java can help control asthma, reduce incidence of cavities (although this one I find difficult to believe considering so many of us add sugar to our cup) as well as stop a headache and boost your cranky-pants mood. 

Since there are many ways to get that caffeine fix, I will not discriminate, nor elaborate on the benefits, or difference in types or flavors. In fact I should really leave that to someone who knows whats what in the coffee world. There are people out there who really take quite a bit of serious time to understand all the subtle nuances of the delicious beverage. Just like a sommelier, but bats for the perky team, its called cupping (which sounds odd to me, but hey, no judgements). Also, since my access to the many devices one can use to brew a mug is limited, I will elaborate briefly about my obsession with the French Press. Incidentally invented by an Italian, the French Press is an excellent way to incapsulate the flavor of coffee most accurately and efficiently. Usually producing a stronger, richer, thicker cup of coffee, it is made by adding the coffee grounds of a thicker grind and nearly-boiling water together. Letting it sit for a few minutes to extract the essence of the roast and then, by use of the plunger, the grounds are forced down to the bottom of the cylinder. A delicious and creamy cup of coffee awaits you. I like the Italian Roast, and I always try to buy Organic, Fair Trade and Sustainable. Not only is this good for the planet, it usually tastes better too
So wether you are a grande-double-half-caf-non-fat-cappuchino with one sugar, a large coffee black or a soy-iced-latte, remember these words, not all coffee is created equal. Even though there are health benefits, this doesn't mean you need to drink more of it. So don't go running to your nearest deli/Starbucks/coffee house etc. In fact, and of course, other studies show rather contradictory conclusions as far as health is concerned. For example, a study has shown it can increase your low density lipoproteins (LDL's) or in laymen's terms the "bad" cholesterol in some people. 

A rule of thumb, try to keep the caffeine consumption under 250 mg's a day (2 - 3 cups). And for those who don't know, 1 cup is 8 oz. So If you get a daily "grande" fix, thats 2 cups, fyi. Those who reach an upwards of 500 to 600 mg's (7 to 8 cups) are susceptible to insomnia, irritability, anxiety, gastrointestinal problems as well as increased heart rate. I too, should probably heed this advice, but alas, I forget to measure out the amount every time pour my intoxicatingly delicious wake up call in to my over sized mug. 
Contradictions never have steered me off course from what I love though. But, I do like a nice hot yerba matte every more than once in a while. 

There are so many more wonderful things I could say about coffee, but you know, I'll leave that up to the comments section, and you, my dear reader. 


Click on the links above to check out some great Washington Coffee roasters! I was enamored with the Raven's Brew Organic Deadman's Reach.





My current favorite place to buy a cup on the go : Ninth Street Espresso at Tompkins Square, 341 East 10th St. (Between Ave A & B). 
My current favorite addition to coffee : low fat vanilla soy milk with a dash of cinnamon.
My favorite "caffeinated" beverage that isn't just cafe au lait : triple non-fat cappuccino from Whole Foods market on Houston. 
My current favorite coffee past time : a big big hot cup, accompanied by gi-normous bowl of organic oatmeal mixed with juicy blueberries, KCRW on a sunday morning and some hand holding. 
 OR the smell of coffee brewing when camping in El Captain, I always was more partial to the hot chocolate at the time, but I remember the coffee smell vividly. 






5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe I should switch back to coffee. I did have some amazing coffee in Costa Rica

joel said...

This was a great letter Joy. I really like that you put the health spin on everyday foods to let your readers know everything we eat isn't alway that bad for us.
And oh the French Press. A little jbirdy told me once that women find that thing sexy. It's a good thing my coffee maker broke and went back to using one of those.

joel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dad said...

Joy, as you know I love my coffee some days to much but all in all it helps me to start my day. Great work on this one and all others on blog. Your food has made me what I am some what. Love you & miss you here Dad

Unknown said...

OMG Joy you were the first fellow student I forwarded my blog to and you have an awesome one yourself.

I will read it with great pleasure.

Every morning I grind and freshly brew Gevilia, a Swedish grind which is amazing.