Sunday, September 27, 2009

B is for Breakfast





Who doesn't like Breakfast?
Honestly, its the quintessential feel good meal.  Synonymous with the way your favorite movie makes you feel or a hug from someone you love; pure comfort. You can usually smell breakfast before you even see it. It's what I like to call a true 5 senses meal. It wakes you up with the smell from the kitchen wafting in from under a closed door, tempting you with its menage of aromas. But, it's the sounds that get you out of bed. The percolating coffee pot, a toaster popping up warm English muffins to be spread with sweet jams and the cracking of dozens of eggs for your favorite omelet, all sounds of undulated pleasure about to ensue. Even the noise of cold cereal pouring into a ceramic glass bowl gives me the chills.
What is interesting, and for others frustrating about myself, is I often forgo the aforementioned indulgence of many delectable breakfast items. I see them, beckoning to be eaten, like a child teased with an out of reach cookie jar. Bacon? No thanks. Home style potatoes and Eggs over easy? Nah, not for me. Waffles piled with whipped cream and strawberries. Pass. Not even a Pop Tart?  
But why?
It's an on going struggle that I hope to one day break free of the bonds from and unleash the veracious appetite which I often times combat in the morning. "Just eat a stack of Buttermilk Blueberry Pancakes" I say to myself, "Have 3 slices of whole grain, well done, extra crispy toast covered in strawberry jelly and poached eggs smothered in Hollandaise."
But no, I shake my head, not me.
And yet, I  still have dreams about the taste of thick pieces of my mom's French Toast with just a touch of cinnamon, which she would then generously dust with powered sugar, and then, still warm from being cooked on the stove with butter, devilishly drizzle with rich amber syrup. Always accompanied by a glass of orange juice. All for me.
We all have our breakfast favorites : toasted everything bagel with cream cheese, warming bowl of oatmeal with brown sugar and raisins, cheese danish when on the run, and of course, mother of all breakfast treats, the doughnut. I envy those whom enjoy these special items daily. I stare at you from behind my fourth very large cup of coffee, nearly black, and imagine how they must taste. All the best textures and flavors, swimming around together, tantalizingly terrific. Sweet, salty, tangy, warm, soft, crunchy. Basically, everything good food is supposed to be.
So here it is, late in my day, near dinner time, and all I can think about is breakfast. The meal that, without a doubt, is the one I skip the most, and miss, period. It is the meal that nearly all experts on dieting have agreed upon should not be overlooked.
So heres' to you breakfast. May we be together soon, drenched in a sea of maple syrup and melted butter a top a pile of fluffy pancakes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have never wanted french toast more in my entire life than this very moment.